Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Day 2 and 3 of Nationals

Waking up today felt great as I knew I wouldn't be stuck at the convention center for a ridiculous amount of time. Today was Kevin Pilcher's day to put in work and I woke up the way I always do for events...on 3 hours sleep, coffee, and music! The day ended very quickly as Kevin was eliminated in the first fight by an opponent who could have been easily beaten had Kevin listened better. On a high note, he looked very fast and strong so I really believe he had a chance to advance. I am sure he will do better next year in San Jose!

Day 3! Our final day of competition we had our older gunners going for hardware and I was excited! Jobe, Kathy, and Gabby were set to compete and the day started off horribly! It started raining on the last day of competition so I couldn't even get to the venue without a ride. I was picked up late and I got a call from Kathy Lee's mom saying that she has been called to the holding area! Luckily, Master J.K. Kim from Yorba Linda was already at the tournament venue ready to fill in for me if I did not arrive on time. Good thing I was there on time for Kathy's first fight, she won...easily and she advanced to the semi-final round! Then Jobe was up and the intercom called for me to get to ring 12! I ran there as fast as I could and I see Jobe and her opponent getting ready to test their chest protectors. My heart dropped as I ran to the ring to see the girl that had beaten her by over 11 points at qualifiers sitting there, waiting for her turn. I told myself to focus and take it one fight at a time. Jobe destroyed her first opponent with kicks to the face and at one point, I saw the girl who destroyed Jobe at Qualifiers stare at her coach and give him the "Oh crap" look! Kathy fought at the same time under the guidance of Master Kim and both of our girls were in the FINALS!! Kathy's final went scoreless for 3 rounds causing them to go into sudden death. This was due to a technical problem as Kathy ripped the other girls body with kicks that failed to register. They went to sudden death which again points she earned failed to register. Then the fight went to the judges who decided the opponent won the fight. LoL, I love it when judges choose the winners of fights. It is always what you least expect. Then it was Jobe in the finals against a fierce fighter whom we had been preparing for since April. Honestly speaking we were unprepared for that fight. Jobe has been so used to dominating fights that I think I got complacent with her level of training. That day at Qualifiers I literally went into a state of panic because I was not used to watching what was happening and my coaching ability went to poop. For 3 months following that wretched day we drilled and drilled! Finally, the day of rematch had come. We went in knowing the score was 2-13 in their last match. Again...those dang electronic chest protectors denied Jobe of at least 2 points but registered her opponents 1!!! I was flipping out!!! I called out the plays we had been working on and still no points!!! Her opponent proceeded to score 2 more points making it 0-3...I called for a Back-Kick which landed making the score 2-3! We were back in the game! In the final round, Jobe's nerves got the best of her and her opponent ended up winning 2-4. I saw disappointment in Jobes face and I had to immediately reminded her to look at the score!! 2-4 as opposed to 2-13! All the hard work payed off and the PMAC family was very proud of both Kathy and Jobe for making it to the Finals!!! Last up was Gabby. She fought hard and never gave up! Although outclassed, she showed a true spirit of a fighter and for 3 rounds went toe to toe with her opponent.

Well thats a wrap! We took a total of 9 athletes and 8 of them place top 3 in the Nation! We fought some epic battles and I proved to myself again for the 3rd year in a row, I have what it takes to produce a National Champ. Thank you parents, and athletes for enduring your training sessions and allowing me to be the Coach that I need to be to produce these results. My promise to you is that I will continue to teach you how to win, my only request is that you follow. Don't look to me to be your friend or counselor. Ask me to teach you how to win...and I will. God bless you all!!!

TEAM PERFORMANCE!!! FOREVER!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment