Monday, March 9, 2009

Another one bites the dust...I just wish it wasn't on my birthday.

So here we are. March 9th, 2009 and I turn 28 years old today and I woke up with a smile on my face. I looked to my left and I saw my 2 favorite girls sleeping next to me and I looked to my right and I saw my trusty BlackBerry with the numbers 9:47am and said...life's good! I got ready to start another GREAT week at the studio, breakfast in hand, and most importantly the excitement of knowing that I am going to do what I love to do for the whole week.

Upon arriving, I noticed that the clothing store next to me had taken down their sign, and the store was completely empty. My euphoric moment quickly faded and sorrow filled my heart for the owner whom I spoke with on several occasions. We even split the bill for our balloons we put up every day. This is the second business to close down within 300 ft of the studio and just knowing the sacrifice, the hardships, and financial strain of opening a business is like...I can't even imagine what closing must feel like. I just wish I had a chance to talk to the owner one last time to maybe give him some advice.

Business is business and I think some people get it twisted with Heaven. I've heard this on several occasions...."Oh, I hate my job right now...I just want to open a business of my own so I could be free." or even "Your so lucky to own a business because you get to do what you want to do and spend so much time with family." Here's a good one...."I'm going to open up a business so I could make bank and be a baller for the rest of my life!" I always chuckle when I hear these comments.

I can't blame people for thinking this way because most books are written by people who have made it through the tough part, or they see the lifestyle of those who have done well for themselves. There aren't many TV shows, or books that focus on the hardships and struggles of starting out because quite frankly those wouldn't sell. But heres the truth its not easy. There are ways to do business BETTER than your competitors and those who recognize how to do business better....stay open.

If you are Human and alive, you know that Spring and Summer are wonderful seasons of shorts, t-shirts, sandals, and lemonade! Also, you know whether you like it or not Winter is approaching! So you must always prepare for the winter...Enjoy the sunshine while it lasts but be ready for the storms until they pass. It's the same in Business! Many people rode the wave of the housing market by making some poor choices thinking that the money would keep coming. If you know anything about history....it always repeats itself! What goes up....always comes down. But people who truly know history will rephrase it like this...."What goes up....must come down...for just a little while...and then back up we go!"

Faith in God. Preparation. Reality. Sacrifice. Persistence. Humility.

For 8 years Jane and I were pretty much broke. Not poor! Just broke. Broke is a situation....Poor is a way of living. Every dime we made went back into the account to eat, live, and sleep. Every dime went back into the business so that we could eat, live, and sleep...better. There were times where Jane wanted the designer bags and it made me feel so small to not be able to buy them for her. Although I felt small..I knew this was just for a time. Maybe 3 years, or maybe even 20 years..But I knew one day it would come.

We have prepared very well for the balancing act going on in the economy. We take pride in the fact that knowing #1 God is on our side and #2 No one...and I mean No one will work harder than we do. When most take days off, we find ways to grow even more. When we are struggling, we quickly seek out advice from those who have been there and implement their advice quickly, and most of all we don't sit around until something happens...we go out and MAKE things happen!

This is the final entry for Surrounding yourself with Champions and Champions don't cry about things....THEY JUST FIND A WAY! Here are the Champs I roll with:

#1 Jesus Christ
#2 My WIFE
#3 Master Jae Kwon Kim
#4 Master Pely Ferrer
#5 Chris Patterson
#6 Caryn Kratzer
#7 Barnes and Noble =) ........They have a WEALTH of information in their isles.

Special Note to Jordy: Champs don't allow you to cry about your life nor will they allow you to give up on your dreams. Listen carefully to the people around you and you will know what I am talking about. I trust you will make great decisions throught your life. Be confident!

P.S. Those designer bags, cars, homes.....are now on SALE =)

No comments:

Post a Comment